Engineer by Day, Tinkerer by Night | CS Student & Graduate Teaching Fellow| Researching Human Robot/Computer Interaction
I enjoy asking the “What if” questions and taking the answers to action!
Colorado School of Mines
M.S + B.S. Computer Science + Robotics and Intelligent Systems 2020
Awards and Achievements: Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher 2018, Daniels Scholar (Full funding).
Harvard Business School Online
CORe Credential of Readiness
An online certificate, 150 hours, pre-MBA program from Harvard Business School that prepares students for fluency in the language of business. The three courses—Business Analytics, Economics for Managers, and Financial Accounting— were developed by leading Harvard Business School faculty and delivered in an active learning environment based on the HBS signature case-based learning method.
RESEARCH & PUBLICATIONS
- A Hands-Free Virtual-Reality Teleoperation Interface for Wizard-of-Oz Control
Nhan Tran, Josh Rands, and Tom Williams
International Workshop on Virtual, Augmented, and Mixed Reality for HRI | VAM-HRI, 2018
- Augmented, Mixed, and Virtual Reality Enabling of Robot Deixis
Tom Williams, Nhan Tran, Josh Rands and Neil T. Dantam
VAMR/HCI International Conference on Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality | VAMR, 2018
- Mixed Reality Deictic Gesture for Multi-Modal Robot Communication
Tom Williams, Matthew Bussing, Sebastian Cabroll, Elizabeth Boyle, Nhan Tran
ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction | HRI, 2019
Mines Interactive Robotics Research Lab (MIRROR Lab)
Graduate Researcher (Advised by Dr. Tom Williams)Golden, CO
- Leading the Augmented Reality in Human-Robot Interaction student research team. Mentoring undergrad peers.
- Researching adaptive human-machine teaming by building Mixed Reality interfaces and nowcasting real-time fNIRS cognitive data (ConvLSTM) in collaboration with Dr. Leanne Hirshfield at CU Institute of Cognitive Science.
- Invited twice to AAAI (2019, 2018) conferences to lead educational outreach workshop. Created hands-on robotics projects to expose young students to AI and its potential benefits.
Computer Science Department, CSM
Undergraduate Researcher (Advised by Dr. Tom Williams)Golden, CO
- Lead author on a research project that controls
socialrobot using VR. Paper accepted to 2018 International Workshop on Virtual, Augmented, & Mixed Reality for Human-Robot Interaction.
- Researched and contributed to
lab’sdistributed Robotic Architecture’s components (referring expression generation, pragmatics, and computer vision) to facilitate natural human-robot interaction
ComputerScience Department’s Outstanding Undergraduate Researcher 2018
- Super excited to learn and contribute to systems and software that ensure the production environment reliable and scalable, thereby enabling ~2 billion users around the world to share and connect!
NASA-Caltech Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Software Engineering InternPasadena, CA
- Decreased engineer cycle time by 30% for Mars 2020 Sampling & Caching Subsystem’s precision cleaning process by resolving key bottlenecks in the workflow.
- Reduced lead time by 50% for handling flight hardware products by proposing, designing, and building a full-stack web app to track real-time metrics.
Expeditedprocess to meet Mars 2020 deadline by designing data-driven reporting dashboards.
- Gained product management skills: usability testing, user interviews, writing requirements docs.
Google’s Nest Labs
Software Engineering InternPalo Alto, CA
Improvedrobot system for sensor testing by developing Robot Operating System packages.
- Reduced man-hours by 90% by implementing automated log processing pipeline.
- Drove user stories, coordinated multiple stakeholders and completed feature requests.
- Presented weekly progress and data insights to managers and 3 cross-functional teams.
Big Data Software Engineer (Intern)Bartlesville, OK
- Built data pipelines to process operational logs in Hadoop cluster using Apache Kafka & Storm.
- 1st place winner in ConocoPhillips Programming Challenge Summer 2016.
Application Developer InternBoulder, CO
- Managed web dashboard 2.0 life cycle and developed mobile application with a team of two for company’s case management using Salesforce, Angular & web technologies (e.g. HTML5, CSS3).
Computer Science Department, CSM
Course Instructor and Graduate Teaching FellowGolden, CO
- Teaching and redesigning Intro to Computer Science (Spring 2019, Fall 2018) for 350 students.
Demonstrating abstract theories and inspiring in undergraduates a love of Computer Science.
Enhance prevention of oral diseases by developing IoT ring that can be put on toothbrushes to evaluate brushing (using ML Dynamic Time Warping) and provide personalized feedback.
Won US Grand prizes and Top 10 / 129 in Google’s Young Makers competition in Beijing. trannhan.com/googleBrush
Designed and co-developed an interactive Microsoft HoloLens app that projects a 3D model onto the table for tracing and guides art students through the sculpting process step by step.
Presented at MIT Media Lab’s AR/VR Hackathon 2019. Video: trannhan.com/sculpt-trace/
Reduce elders’ missed doses by building an IoT system that tracks elderly person taking pills.
Designed hardware system and UX. Discussed roadmap & business strategy with team of 5.
Product won 1st / 45 at 2017 LinkedIn Intern Hackathon. trannhan.com/intellipill
Set product vision and roadmap for a thoughtful and Amazon Alexa enabled cocktail mixer that can make personalized drinks by recognizing emotions via webcam. https://goo.gl/SaNCTa
Prototype 1.0 awarded Best IoT project at HackHarvard. Currently developing v2.0 with more features like Activity recognition using SVM classifier to detect human abnormal/drunk actions.
LEADERSHIP & VOLUNTEERING
President and Robotic Programming Lead | Mines Robotics Club
- Led and collaborated with 40 student engineers (Mechanical, Electrical, and Computer Science) in 6 regional & national robotics competitions.
- Team won first place in NASA Space Grant Robotics Challenge
- Raised ~$6000 within a semester. Mentor 100+ local kids in hardware, sensors, Arduino code
Managing Editor and Webmaster | Mines High Grade
Oversaw aspects of the publication of Colorado School of Mines’ art and literary journal. The publication is both in print and online at highgrade.mines.edu
Others | Volunteer
Alpha Phi Omega
- Out in STEM (O-STEM Social Committee)
- San Francisco Pride Parade 2017
- Rocky Mountain Feline Rescue
- Python 70% 70%
- Java 70% 70%
- C++ 70% 70%
- Arduino 70% 70%
- Unity 90% 90%
- Django 70% 70%
- OpenCV 70% 70%
- Tensorflow 60% 60%
- Numpy 70% 70%
- Matplotlib 70% 70%
- Qt 70% 70%
DESIGN & DIGITAL MEDIA
- Photoshop 80% 80%
- After Effects 70% 70%
- Premiere Pro 85% 85%
- Audacity 60% 60%
Bilingual in Vietnamese &
English/ Spanish (Profcient)
- First Place 2017 LinkedIn Intern Hackathon
- Second Place at Xilinx Hackathon
- Best IoT Hack at HackHarvard
- University’s Undergraduate Research Fellowship
- Google C-MAPP Fellow
- Best Google Intern Photo Challenge
- Featured in CBS4′ Colorado Future Leaders in STEM and Humans of Mines
- Daniels Fund Scholar: full college scholarship
- Greenhouse Scholarship: awarded for excellent community leadership and involvement
- Best Robot “Under 1.5 kg” at CO Space Grant Robotics Challenge
- Won 2nd place for Spring 2016 Interactive and Educational Game at Colorado School of Mines
- 1st place ConocoPhillips Summer 2016 Programming Challenge
- ConocoPhillips 2015 IT Student Leader
- Dean’s List (2015, 2016, 2017)