Hello!! I am Nhan Tran, a master’s student in Computer Science + Robotics and Intelligent Systems at Colorado School of Mines. I am advised by Dr. Tom Williams. My research interests are Extended Reality (XR) and Human-Robot Interaction/Teaming (including ubiquitous intelligent systems such as decision support system, autonomous vehicles, UAVs, or multimodal sensor technologies). Currently, I am researching computational models for adaptive augmentation, where the way in which information is communicated to human teammates is adapted on the fly based on their cognitive load and mental states. To achieve this, I am utilizing the humanoid Pepper robot, the Microsoft HoloLens mixed reality headset, and the functional near-infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) non-invasive brain imaging device. More broadly, I aspire to design naturalistic human-agent teaming experiences and adaptive technologies that augment human capabilities. In the past several summers, I learned, researched, and collaborated with the amazing teams at Robust.AI, Facebook, Google Nest, and NASA/Caltech Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
I share ideas
I research and write
I build projects
For a full list of publications and citations, please visit my Google Scholars page.
- Adapting Mixed Reality Robot Communication to Mental Workload (Accepted, camera-ready version in progress)
Proceedings of the HRI Pioneers Workshop* at the 15th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction | HRI 2020
*HRI Pioneers is a premiere forum for graduate students in HRI. Each year, the workshop brings together a cohort of the world’s top student researchers and provides the opportunity for students to present and discuss their work with distinguished student peers and senior scholars in the field.
- Mixed Reality Deictic Gesture for Multi-Modal Robot Communication
Tom Williams, Matthew Bussing, Sebastian Cabroll, Elizabeth Boyle, Nhan Tran
ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction | HRI, 2019
- A Hands-Free Virtual-Reality Teleoperation Interface for Wizard-of-Oz Control
Nhan Tran, Josh Rands, and Tom Williams
International Workshop on Virtual, Augmented, and Mixed Reality for HRI | VAM-HRI, 2018
- Augmented, Mixed, and Virtual Reality Enabling of Robot Deixis
Tom Williams, Nhan Tran, Josh Rands and Neil T. Dantam
VAMR/HCI International Conference on Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality | VAMR, 2018
- When not coding, I enjoy making videos with friends and playing around with movie special effects. As former captain of Mines Robotics Club, I also captured various moments of my team building robots and competing in collegiate robotics tournaments.